Balanitis is a disease that is characterized, infirst of all, inflammation of the glans penis. In the event that the inflammation is transmitted also to the foreskin, this disease is already called "balanoposthitis".
Types of balanitis
This type of disease manifests itself exclusively in the formation of edema, redness and cracks after a member's injury. Trauma of the penis can occur in any way.
Appears due to the accumulation of smegma or urine in the area of the foreskin. This form is manifested by redness and swelling.
This type of disease can manifest itself with completely different symptoms, which will depend only on the nature of the pathogen.
- Obliterating xerotic balanitis
A much more complicated form of the disease, the causes of which have not yet been fully clarified.
Causes of the disease
- Various skin diseases, for example, psoriasis or seboremny dermatitis.
- Injury of the glans penis or its irritation. Trauma can be coital or even caused by excessive masturbation.
- Concomitant infectious diseases - often balanitis can be a consequence of venereal diseases, for example, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, chlamydia or syphilis.
- Diabetes mellitus, because due to the development of this disease there is a constant irritation of the glans penis with urine.
- The lack of normal hygiene and, as a consequence, the accumulation of smegma, urine or any other irritating factors.
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of the disease directly depend on the pathogen, but it is quite possible to characterize some local symptoms.
- Erythema of prepuce
- Reddening of the head
- Nodular rash
- The appearance of erosions and ulcers on the genitals
- Painful sensations when the head is opened
- Premature ejaculation.
To more extensive symptoms it is possible to carry the general or commonweakness of the body, rashes in the mucous membrane of the mouth, enlarged lymph nodes, especially in the groin. If all the symptoms indicate that the patient has balanitis, treatment in this case can not be postponed until later, because any disease is easier to treat in the initial stage of its development.
Diagnosis of the disease
If the patient has general symptoms,the doctor appoints him an examination for the STD group. Determine the presence of balanitis can only bacterial study, but, for example, a blood test helps to judge the indirect presence of this disease.
Balanitis - treatment
If the patient has balanitis, treatment in the first placeconsists of daily hygiene procedures - it is necessary to wash the penis with warm water and soap, and in order to avoid excessive irritation with alkali, moisturizers can be used.
Medicamentous treatment is made up of traysfor a member with potassium permanganate and furacilin, which must be done for at least 20 minutes several times a day. After this bath, the head of the penis should be lubricated with syntholicylic, zinc or tetracycline ointment. In case the patient has anaerobic balanitis, the treatment is performed with the help of such antibiotics, so tetracycline or metronidazole.
Operative treatment of the disease is necessary only if it is caused by phimosis of the foreskin, the circumcision of which occurs during the operation.
Treatment of balanitis in children in general terms is similar to treatment in adults, but there are a lot of small nuances that need to be clarified in advance by the pediatrician who is watching the baby.
For successful treatment of the disease, most patients undergo physiotherapy. In particular, electrophoresis, ozonotherapy, heliotherapy and others.