To install a siphon for a sink in the kitchen is capable evena newcomer who is engaged in similar works for the first time. The constructions of modern drain systems are designed for manual assembly. Only in the most rare cases for the implementation of the task may require a special set of tools. Usually everything is limited by the use of pliers and a screwdriver.
What is a siphon?
Such plumbing structures in mostcases are represented by a plastic or metal pipe, less often by several pipes of a specific, curved shape. Serves a device for discharging dirty, waste water, small sewage into sewers. Due to the presence of a small bend siphon for the sink in the kitchen leaves a small fraction of the water in the pipe, which forms a kind of sedimentation tank. The latter prevents the penetration of sewer noise, gases, and unpleasant odors back into the room.
Siphon siphon scheme in the kitchen
To get a clear idea of the assembly and installation of the siphon, let's look at its standard layout. Plumbing fixtures are completed with such elements as:
- Body in the form of a knee or "bottle".
- Outlet branch.
- A drain pipe.
- Plastic nuts.
- Insulating gaskets.
- Rubber stoppers (bottom and top).
- Screw for screed.
- Decorative cover for the sink.
Materials of manufacture
Modern siphons for sinks with overflow forThe kitchens are made mainly of polyvinyl chloride, chrome-plated brass or propylene. The most expensive are metal products. However, in view of the relatively high price, their purchase looks truly justified from the standpoint of prestige and aesthetics of appearance. From the point of view of practicality, durability and ease of operation, plastic siphons for sinks in the kitchen with overflow are not inferior to the same metal ones.
The construction, made of PVC, is the cheapest option. Even with daily operation, such a siphon will last at least 7-10 years.
As for propylene products, they are more expensiveanalogues from PVC on 15-20%. With a quality installation such a siphon for the kitchen sink will last for more than a decade. Unlike chrome-plated structures, cleaning of chemically stable, strong propylene can be done with a metal wire or crochet.
A drain pipe
The device of a siphon for a kitchen sink in the kitchenit is possible to install a corrugated or rigid drain pipe. It is better to give preference to the last variant, since small waste and pollution accumulate intensively on the internal hollows of the corrugation. In addition, the rigid pipe is much more difficult to accidentally damage objects that are under the sink.
To install a siphon for a kitchen sink, you will need a semi-liquid or plastic sealant. Optimum choice in most cases can be an inexpensive silicone product.
Before you give preference to this or thathermetic, it is necessary to check it for acidity. To determine how chemically neutral the substance is, you can squeeze out a small amount from the container and sniff it. If there is a pungent acetic smell, then the sealant is not very suitable for doing such work.
On sale there are means for isolationjoints based on natural rubber. Such sealants are not cheap. However, their service life is at least several decades.
Standard connecting dimensions of nozzlesare 32, 40 and 50 mm in diameter. Picking up a siphon for a sink in the kitchen, you need to determine the parameters of the old design. If you can not find the product of the required size, you need to resort to buying a special adapter cuff.
Today, siphons are on sale, whichhave a stepped end of the spout. The latter can be adapted to all types of nozzles. It is enough only to carefully trim excess material and get a suitable sealant.
How to assemble a siphon for a kitchen sink?
The construction is assembled on the basis ofthe attached instructions with the product schematic. When performing recommended actions in a clear sequence, even a beginner should not have problems with the layout of the drainage system elements. However, in order to avoid the appearance of leaks, it is necessary to pay attention to several important nuances:
- In the process of assembly, the main thing is to create the most tight connections. Even at purchase the product should be inspected for defects. Particular attention should be given to the quality of the thread.
- During the assembly of the connections, secure the gaskets securely. Sealant is used for these purposes. Screwing the drainage system is done as far as it will go.
- It should be borne in mind that for the arrangement of the regionInstallation of the decorative cover is used several gaskets. Black is used for laying on the top of the pipe. Thinner - white, lies under the overlay.
- After the siphon for the kitchen sink is fully assembled, it is recommended to get rid of excess sealant that protrudes along the edges of the joints.
Preparing for installation
Having figured out how to assemble a siphon in the kitchen, you cango to dismantling the old structure and cleaning the surface of the sewer pipe. Realizing the task, it is not necessary to attach too much importance to the presence of residual contaminants on the drainage surface, since a special sealing cuff is designed for landing on a rough foundation.
Certain difficulties can arise whenreplacement of the Soviet cast-iron siphon, sealed in a branch pipe with a landing on cement. In this case, you will have to work on depressurizing the joint using a hammer, chisel or chisel. This is required to remove the old cement from the pipe and remove the old siphon.
Preparing the siphon for a double sink in the kitchenor single capacity, you need to ensure that fragments of brittle pig iron and cement particles do not remain in the sewer pipe. During the operation of the new system, such garbage can become a source of regular blockages. Remove all kinds of debris from the sewer branch conveniently with pliers and tweezers.
How to install a siphon in the kitchen? For reliable installation work must be carried out in strict sequence:
- Pre-lubricated sealant installation cuff is placed in the sewer pipe. In this case, all surfaces must be dry.
- The docking (face) surfaces are checkedhousing threaded connections. If necessary, the burrs are carefully cut with a sharp blade, since their presence can lead to damage to the gaskets.
- The end of the drain pipe is put into the cuff and securely fixed. If you have to work with a fastener in the form of a yoke, to tighten the latter you will need to use a screwdriver.
- A drain grid is mounted in the sink. The black bottom gasket is not yet installed.
- In the groove of the plug, a thin annular gasket is laid, which is abundantly lubricated with a sealant. Then the cork is wrapped. It is enough to grab the thread at a distance of about 2-3 turns.
- If the body of the siphon is represented by a nozzle in the form of a bottle, a special valve with an outward opening flap is placed in it. The design is attached to the outlet pipe.
- The lower drain plate is laid in the groove of the upper branch pipe, the nut of the siphon housing is screwed.
- Slightly rocking the knee of the structure, you must gently alternately tighten the side and upper nuts of the bottle.
When all activities aimed at assembling andinstallation of the siphon, completed, it is worth starting to test the drainage system. For this purpose, water is supplied to the sink under the maximum head, which makes it possible to test the tightness of the joints. Absence of leaks testifies to the correct performance of the work.
Selecting siphons for the shells "Blanco" in the kitchenor considering any other product as a suitable option, it is worthwhile once again to check the system for the presence of all constructive components. Closed packages often contain insufficient number of fasteners necessary for successful installation.
When assembling and installing the siphon, all parts must be clean and dry. One of the main reasons for the appearance of leaks is the ingress of dirt and sand onto rubber gaskets.
The installation of the siphon must be carried out in such a way,so that its outlet hole is located an order of magnitude higher than the inlet opening of the sewer drain pipe. Compliance with this requirement allows you to form a certain slope, which becomes a favorable basis for the formation of free water flow.
Operation and maintenance
Correct installation of siphon for kitchen sinksIs an extremely important task. However, the value also has a high quality maintenance of the drainage system. Timely cleaning promotes maximum long-term operation of the structure.
To dissolve deposits in the form of fatty massescaustic soda is recommended. Improves system throughput, periodic, continuous flushing of pipe joints under the pressure of hot water. In the case of the formation of significant blockages, it is worth using special chemical means for cleaning sewage pipes.
The simplest way to eliminate plugs in connectionssiphon - the use of a conventional plunger. If, after several movements, the garbage does not pass through the sewer, it is worthwhile to disassemble the structure and flush its individual elements. If there is a plastic siphon, you can get rid of the blockage by using a metal wire with a slight thickening at the end. Such methods of cleaning pipes are widely used by plumbers.
If the kitchen has a persistent smellsewerage or in the construction of the siphon leak formed, it is necessary to perform an independent repair of the system or to resort to the help of masters. In this case, do not forget about the need to remove the old sealant and apply a new one.
Siphon is an important plumbingkitchen, and in the bathroom. Therefore, it is desirable that any actions that we described above in the article are carried out by trained specialists, which will serve as a guarantee of reliable and durable operation of the system. However, if you have some experience or in case of emergency, you should use the above recommendations for self-fulfillment.